History of Stokoe farms

Thomas Stokoe immigrated from Northumberland, England in 1801. Stokoe Farms began in 1812 when he moved to what is now Scottsville, NY. He married Maria Romeyn, purchased 100 acres, and built a log cabin on Bowerman Road. Four generations later, Selden and Ethel Stokoe, along with their sons Dick, Larry and Scott, expanded the farm to its present 3,500 acres in the towns of Wheatland, Caledonia, Avon and Rush.
Their children and grandchildren, now the 6th & 7th generation, share in the operation of the diverse enterprises of Stokoe Farms.

We respect the traditions of close family, love of the land, and perseverance that we have inherited from the generations before us. Our mission is to carry these values and our farming heritage forward.


In 1997, the farm was presented with the Century Farms award from the New York State Agricultural Society. Today the 5th, 6th and 7th generations of Stokoes are actively farming. In 2012 the Stokoe families celebrated 200 years of their farming heritage.  Over 1,500 family, friends and farm guests came out to help us celebrate this special event.

 

Stokoe Family 2012
Stokoe Family

The eldest son Dick lives on the homestead in a house built in 1908, after the original log cabin became outdated. Also on the property is a historic Wells Truss barn built by John Wells Jr., a 3rd generation builder and native of Wheatland. There are less than 50 of these uniquely built Wells Truss barns left in Western New York. Our barn is the last of its type ever built. It is still in use as straw and equipment storage.

 

[ Wells Barn ] Truss System
Wells Barn on Bowerman Road Patented Truss System